La Cartuja de Nuestra Señora de las Fuentes
La Cartuja de Nuestra Señora de las Fuentes (The Monastery of Our Lady of Fountains) is an excellent example of the architecture of a Carthusian monastery. It is located in the municipality of Sariñena in Monegros. It was the first monastery to be built in Aragon.
The counts of Sástago, in 1507, were the founders of the monastery, which owes its name to the “Fuente del Milagro” (Miracle Fountain) at which, according to legend appeared an image of the Virgen de las Fuentes. Many hardships have been endured by this monastery, which has suffered a fire, condemnation of the state and use as a resort. It served as a barracks during the Civil War and it eventually was taken over by a bank. It is used nowadays as a livestock farm.
The paintings of Friar Manuel Bayeu, brother in law of Francisco de Goya, are the main attractions of this building that has undergone many ups and downs over the years. This work is considered one of the most important eighteenth century murals that exist in Aragon. Although many of the paintings in the church are in an irretrievable state of repair the saints, allegories and beautiful colourful figures that populate the more than 1,000 square meters of the Cartuja de las Fuentes, make for a very interesting display of paintings from the late baroque period in Aragon.
On Sundays, 9:00 – 14:00
Tel: 974 570 900